What’s the Coconut Oil Craze?
There is a reason it is called "The Tree of Life."
Nearly one-third of the world's population depends on coconut to some degree for their food and economy. Coconut oil is of special interest because it possesses healing properties far beyond that of any other dietary oil and is extensively used in traditional medicine among Asian and Pacific populations.
What makes coconut different is the type of fat molecule it contains.
There are two ways of classifying fatty acids: one is based on saturation, the other on the molecular size of the carbon chain of the fatty acid. Coconut oil is a compound of medium chain fatty acids, whereas the majority of fats and oils consumed are composed of long chain fatty acids, making them more difficult to absorb and digest.
There are 3 main acids that give coconut oil its great reputation; lauric acid, capric acid, and caprylic acid. These all have antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and soothing qualities. It is also a great skin moisturizer and aids in the haling of eczema, psoriasis, dryness, flaking and skin infection.
Coconut oil also benefits some of the following health conditions:
- Kills viruses such as hepatitis, measles, herpes, influenza, AIDS and other illnesses
- Kills bacteria that cause throat infections, urinary tract infection (UTI), ulcers, gum diseases and other infections
- Kills fungi that cause ringworm, diaper rash, candidiasis (thrush) and other infections
- Kills parasites such as lice, tapeworms, and giardia
- Improves digestion
- Relieves pancreatic stress
- Helps to prevent osteoporosis and liver disease
- Reduces inflammation
- Supports tissue healing and repair, healthy immune system function, and healthy thyroid function
- Topically helps to form a barrier to ward off skin infections
- Provides protection from harmful UV radiation
- Helps dissolve kidney stones
This is just the tip of the iceberg! Coconut oil can do even more than all of these things!
When buying coconut oil, look for cold-pressed organic extra-virgin coconut oil. You can use as a skin/hair moisturizer, cooking oil, or just eat it plain every day for its health benefits. You're worth it!